Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Whozits and Whatzits Galore!

Well, there is sure a lot happening these days.  I can barely catch my breath!  As I wrote yesterday, we have our new shabby chic line in Mercedes Lane.  Well NOW we also have a selection of our seaside jewelry and nautical gifts in '2nd Chance' - a wonderful, boutique-style thrift store where various local artists and crafters will be featured in their new 'Artist's Corner'.  I am thrilled and honoured to be the very first artist to be showcased there.  The lovely manager, Melanie Abela, had asked me if I could put together a little display for her store with a variety of my handmade, seaside items, so this is the finished product...


As I was bringing my tray of treasures to 2nd Chance, I was suddenly reminded of a song from 'The Little Mermaid'...

Look at this stuff
Isn't it neat?
Wouldn't you think my collection's complete?
Wouldn't you think I'm the girl
The girl who has ev'rything?


Look at this trove
Treasures untold
How many wonders can one cavern hold?
Lookin' around here you'd think
(Sure) she's got everything

I've got gadgets and gizmos aplenty
I've got whozits and whatzits galore
You want thingamabobs?
I got twenty...


Funny the things that go through one's mind, yes?  Anyhow, Melanie was delighted with my display of nautical 'whozits and whatzits'.  Yay!  In my 'Mermaid Treasure Collection', I included an oyster shell tealight holder, a beach in a bottle keychain, a beaded, mermaid bookmark, an aqua bead and silver charm bracelet, a hand-formed ceramic pendant and two pairs of earrings - one gold, beaded pair and another that dangles and sparkles inside a little glass bottle.  That one is my favourite and, most definitely 'mermaid-approved'. 

If you haven't been yet, I highly recommend that you visit this delightful store and check out their awesome deals.  It is a great resource for all you Pinterest fans out there and anyone who loves to recycle and upcycle!  2nd Chance is actually putting on a series of 'Creative Reuse Workshops' for anyone wanting to learn how to breathe life into gently-used objects by turning them into something new and inspired!  In fact, they have one coming up soon on May 7th where you can create one-of-a-kind bags, pouches, purses, envelopes, and gift wrapping - all out of thrift store t-shirts!  You can check their Facebook page for details or drop into the store to sign up for the workshop - in the Heritage Mall beside Serious Coffee in Parksville, BC.  Sounds like a lot of fun and a great way to recycle.  Plus, when you shop at 2nd Chance, you are helping to fund their 'Workability Program' - a non-profit charity which supports people with physical, medical, mental and emotional barriers so they can have a safe, meaningful and productive life within an environmentally sustainable community.  So shopping there is a 'win-win' for everyone, wouldn't you agree?

Have a creative, resourceful and inspired day!  And say please hi to Melanie for me!

Micki @ A2Sea Creations

http://work-ability.ca/workability-thrift-store/






No comments: